Recorded most ofdue to my course in Constitutional Studies in the Muslim World, so catching up on replies to my tweets.
- The old excuse of separate but equal: never a good argument against segregation or apartheid.
- The women prefer to stay out of the camera’s eye due to issues of ‘modesty’. I neither condone nor support segregation or so-called ‘modesty’ fetishes for women.
- It’s the women’s choice: 100% of the women prefer to be invisible? Choice only exists if the segregated section of the community could use the main facilities if they wished. I suspect they can’t.
- Their exclusion isn’t discrimination: the absence of women in the public arena is discrimination – whether you like it or not.
- The constant references in the media to men-only groups as ‘people’ only serves to embed and reinforce the idea of women’s second-class status.